Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Mr Memories

Memories. He is the old man who stores all the memories on earth in millions and billions of his little glass tubes. Your memories, are part of his job.

The room is filled with glass tubes. Millions of them. Each one of them contains saga seeds. The number of seeds vary in each tube. Some tubes are huge and contain hundreds of seeds while others barely contain tens. He drops a seed into another half-filled tube. He handles every single seed and tube with care. Not dropping any of them. The old man sigh heavily as he scopes a small portion of sand into one of the tubes filled with seeds.

It was another boring weekend for him. Accompanying his girlfriend to the park once again. He hated it. The hot sun, the warm afternoon and the mosquito bites. Sitting on the bench, he waited impatiently. His girlfriend was busily picking up saga seeds under the trees. The girl loved collecting saga seeds. At the end of the day after picking up all the seeds she could find, she would get a bag, filled it with sand, then dropped all the seeds she collected in it.

Sands? For?

For planting my own saga tree one day, my dear.


Why are you giving yourself extra work? Don't be silly! Or at least, you should separate the seeds and the sand.


She replied with a smile. He loves the way she smiled. Nothing could resist it. He would give in to her everytime she smiled. But the girl was always the one compromising. She would always be the one to apologise. One day, they had a heated argument. The girl cried. Why can't he put down his pride for once and apologise to me? Hurt and frustrated, she ran off without turning back. They did not contact each other for days. Days later, he received a letter. It was from her.

Dear,

I know you won't contact me. But I still waited for the whole night for your call. For that matter earlier, I apologise. It's all my fault. I shouldn't have ask you out that day. I know you're busy with your work. I just wanted to show you the seeds. You see, for each day out with you, I used a tube to contain the seeds in it. A tube represents a day with you. Each seed represents our happy moment together. And the sand, I used it to pour over the seeds everytime we quarrelled. But I realised something after I poured the sand in. Even if I were to filled the sand to the brink, I could still see those seeds. I told myself that no matter how unhappy our arguments might be, how ugly those words might sound, I still could not erase those happy memories with you. Cause I love you so much that I can't see the sand anymore. You can't have a saga tree from planting it's seed. But all I wish for is to give all these thousands of tubes in exchange for a tree like you. A tree that will shelter me from the hot sun so that I could pick more saga seeds for us.
Yours.

He regret saying all those angry words. Those words must have hurt her. He went over to her place but she wasn't around. No answer on the cell. Where is she? Oh! The park! He rushed over to the park where they used to go every weekend. Wait! Hanging on every branch of the tree, are those tubes she mentioned about. Thousands of tubes hanging on the tree. There she was, lying motionless under the tree. He rushed over to her. It was too late. She fell from the tree trying to attach the last glass tube on the branch. Tightly held in her right, was the glass tube, un-shattered and perfect with those red seeds. This one, was without any sand in it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

are your stories real? or is it just a story? anyway, miss hanging out with u!!

Anonymous said...

so our new trend now is to become a story-teller? instead of poem?

Madeleine said...

Wah... Ah pek tell story... Nice stories leh... That's y i love reading your blog....

Heee...

Meet up soon!

19 said...

mer,everytime you talk no follow up one leh.please try to organise during my off days!and please stop being sarcastic,of course it is fictional.

19 said...

no gy,there isn't any trend.i generate ideas.i was born with it. Maybe she's maybeline

19 said...

tks maddy for calling me ah pek hor. more to write about.

Anonymous said...

i have the disk on the recovering loss data. when you want it?